Cardio is a simple-to-use library for playing various audio files. It includes support for a number of audio formats and is extensible via plugins.
The plugins that come with cardio are all licensed under the LGPL (2.1 or later). Supported file formats are:
Supported output methods are:
- ALSA (via alsa-lib; plugin is alpha quality)
- Diskwriter (WAV with RF64 support)
There are other plugins available that, due to various reasons, are not able to be included in the main package. These are:
- adplug-cardio for playing files supported by
- ape-cardio for playing Monkey's Audio files
- faad-cardio for playing MP4/AAC files via
- gbsplay-cardio for playing GBS chiptunes with
- gme-cardio for playing chiptunes supported by
- mpg123-cardio for playing MP3 files via
- nosefart-cardio for playing NSF chiptunes with
- xmp-cardio for playing module files supported by
The Extended Module Player
gme-cardio plays both GBS and NSF files, so gbsplay-cardio and nosefart-cardio are a bit redundant; but I wrote them before I found Game Music Emu. xmp-cardio is useful in that XMP supports a ridiculous number of module types, so if you have some module that
neither DUMB nor libmodplug can play, xmp-cardio might be able to.
In addition, a plugin for Amarok 1 to use cardio as the playback engine is available.